Translate

Monday, September 16, 2013

Plan of attack for attending funerals with small children (battle guide)

Kai after she took a rose from the casket.
As I had previously posted this past week my Grandfather passed away after a long battle with brain cancer. Here is the link to that blog post.

Well the Wake was this past Sunday. I attended it with my Father, HB and Kai. I was worried about what Kai would do especially with these two factors...


1. With seeing Great Grandpa laid out in the casket
2. The wake was 5 hours long. Thats a long time for adults let alone a 4 year old.

So I packed just about everything I could think of except the sink lol
I was well prepared and I didn't need half of it!
I packed a beach tote (the kind with all the awesome pockets) FULL. I made sure I had things for both  HB and Kai because I figured they were both going to get bored.

I packed..
  • Cell phone chargers
  • Change of clothes for everyone (but me lol)
  • Extra pair of shoes. 
  • Wet ones
  • Coloring books and crayons
  • Snacks (I took protein bars and animal crackers)
  • Leap Pad (or any game)
  • Charger for the game
  • Story books
  • Hair brush
I don't know if this is the norm for other wakes but at my Grandfather's they had a sandwich tray and veggies tray.
I got very lucky because my favorite Aunt and Cousin pitched in and helped keep Kai occupied.
What shocked me more though was when I was standing up by the casket with the rest of the family shaking hands with everyone and Kai came up to stand with me.
She stood there like a perfect little lady and shook hands with (I lost count) numerous friends of my Grandpas.
We had a couple hiccups but I think that is to be expected for a 4 year old.

At the funeral today she was great. For both of the things we let her bring her comfort item. Her stuffed bunny named Lola.
I would suggest planning for the worst unfortunately and then praying it doesn't come to that lol

If anyone has any questions I'm more then willing to answer..
 


No comments:

Post a Comment