Translate

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Just trying to raise good people.

All we've ever been concerned with is raising the girls to be good people.
Raise them to not be assholes, to help others without being asked, to stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.
Religion has never been a way of keeping people from being assholes.
I would know! I was raised in the Lutheran church and there were just as many assholes there as anywhere else only they seemed to think that because they went to church every Sunday their being an asshole was excused. That they could treat others badly, be nasty to them, say humiliating things to others and it was ok as long as they went and prayed to the big JC come Sunday.
So called good Christians that couldn't be bothered to help their fellow man unless there was something in it for them.

So we have been raising the girls without religion. We want them to be genuinely good people not people that are only decent because they are scared of going to Hell.

It hadn't been an issue how we were raising them until recently when one of Kai's friend's started preaching to her on the play ground about how Jesus grants wishes and since we don't go to church we're all going to Hell.
Fun kid right there.
He's on to a head start in fear mongering.
Thankfully HB was raised in the church as well but he actually was confirmed where as I wanted no part of any of that and refused to go to church unless my grandma forced me to attend with her.
So he has been able to answer all the questions but she's been so confused as to why God has any right to judge us to begin with.
But it made us think about everything.
I am pagan.
He is agnostic at best.
And Kai is asking questions about Christianity.

Do I start teaching her about being Pagan and celebrate the Solstice that is come up along with Yule or do I drag her to church so she can see what it's all about in its boring glory.

We've decided to do both. I'm going to set up my altar and get her some books. And we'll be making a trip at least to the Unitarian Universalist church in our city.
Perhaps we'll go to church with my in-laws as well. I might need to be drunk for that trip lol 

No comments:

Post a Comment